10 Snacks to Always Pack for Your Kids
Whether you are packing a school lunch for your kids, coming home hungry, or needing some late night munchies, try these quick healthy snacks!
1. Almonds: full of vitamins, a handful of almonds can be a staple go-to snack for kids
2. Oranges and/or Grapes: Oranges are full of vitamin C. Add grapes for those times when you feel the need to just be munching on something
3. Oatmeal: A half a cup of rolled oats gives you 7 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, plus 15 percent of your daily iron requirements with only 3 grams of fat
4. Roasted Chick Peas or Edamame: Fiber and protein rich, these beans are easy to roast at home and are perfect if you are in the mood for something crunchy. Buy canned chickpeas or frozen edamame beans, rinse or thaw and then dry before sprinkling with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and salt. Roast in a 375-degree F oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until crunchy!
5. Hummus and Veggies: Whip up your own hummus using canned chick peas, lemon juice, tahini sauce and a little extra virgin olive oil
6. Berries: Full of antioxidants like vitamin K and C as well B1, B6 and fiber, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are powerful tiny treats that make great snacks.
7. Hard-boiled Eggs: Hard-boiled eggs will last in the fridge up to one week and are easy to take with you. Make a bunch at a time. Each hard-boiled egg contains all the B vitamins, vitamin D, omega 3s and protein
8. Yogurt: Probiotics will help with digestion and the extra protein in Greek yogurt will help you feel full when hungry
9. Tuna and Cucumber: With 17 grams of protein, not to mention the benefits of omega 3s, in a small container, you get a great snack with tuna. Mix with just a little extra virgin olive oil and some pepper to taste or add lemon juice, garlic or avocado and enjoy your tuna without the unhealthy fats in most mayonnaise spreads. Use a slice of cucumber in place of a cracker and you have a filling, healthy snack
10. Cottage Cheese: This often-overlooked soft cheese hides in it a meals worth of protein, calcium and B vitamins in one serving